Mother's Day Paleo Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Scones
April 27 2023·
April 27 2023·
Grain-free, dairy-free paleo vegan lemon poppy seed scones are so easy to make and perfect for sharing for brunch!
(yield: 8 large scones)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 6 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup Avocado/Coconut Oil
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 lemons zested
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups almond flour
- 1 cup arrowroot powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp blue poppy seeds
- 1/3 cup coconut butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C.
- Stir together the flaxseed and water in a small bowl to form flax “eggs.” Allow this mixture to sit for 15 minutes to thicken. Stir occasionally. The mixture should be the consistency of beaten eggs.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flax “eggs,” avocado oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and pure maple syrup.
- In a separate mixing bowl, stir together the remaining dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl with the wet ingredients and stir well until a sticky dough forms.
- Transfer the scone dough to a lightly-oiled scone pan or line a baking sheet with parchment paper and form drop scones (you can make them any shape you would like).
- Bake on the center rack of the oven for 14 to 22 minutes (depending on size of scones), until scones are golden-brown around the edges. If making drop scones, bake for 14 to 18 minutes. If using a scone pan, bake 20 to 22 minutes.
- Allow scones to cool 15 minutes before using a spatula to remove them from the scone pan or baking sheet.
- If making the glaze, heat the coconut butter in a ramekin in the warm oven or microwave until melted. Drizzle scones with coconut butter and serve.